Like anyone, I would prefer it if my son just loved vegetables like I do. He did love them when he was younger and will still eat anything that is mashed up completely, but straight up vegetables? No way! I’ve started sneaking them into everything. Not ideal, but I want my child to be healthy so I’ll do what I have to do.
This week my vegetables sneakiness was… popsicles!
We bought these popsicle makers at Ikea for $1.99. I actually LOVE the pink and yellow ones, but my husband picked these up when I wasn’t with. The blue and green one is cute too.
Then I simply threw all of the ingredients into the blender, blended it until it was extremely smooth and voila!
Pour the smoothie mixture in the popsicle molds and freeze.
My recipe this week
- Frozen broccoli, microwaved and blended until VERY smooth. If your kids (or husband or partner or whoever it is you are trying to get to eat more vegetables) are like B, they will notice chunks of green stuff.
- Spinach (one large handful)
- Nonfat plain greek yogurt
- Fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, grapes and watermelon-just what we had leftover in the fridge from all of the weekend’s bbqs.
- Frozen raspberries (microwaved and blended)
- Frozen mango (microwaved and blended)
- A 1/4 cup of cold water
I microwave frozen items for popsicles so it is a very smooth popsicle. Bodhi catches any “chunks” of food and asks what it is, so I wasn’t risking that.
The popsicles turned out delicious and Bodhi loved them. They are ridiculously messy. B ate his on the front porch.
We only froze them for around four hours during a nap and they were ready to go. Sneak veggies into everything! It works!
Hey! If you love this idea, please Pin it!