It is time for a change for the little man. His modern nursery is no longer relevant to the little boy we now enjoy. With a subtle travel theme (because he LOVED flying on an airplane), I give you a taste of B’s big boy room.
I am not a graphic designer at all and created this in Polyvore, so I apologize that it’s a bit rough around the edges. And honestly, it doesn’t quite give you the feel the room will have. I plan to add a bit more yellow and more green than you see here so I think it will be brighter. I also plan to hack the Ikea Hemnes bed, so it won’t be the black-brown color we purchased it in (or that you see above). And, I plan to include a lot of things that we already have as well.
1. Our paper lantern cluster stays with a few little additions/tweaks.
2. Young House Love metal strap drum pendant in Navy, baby ($99)-Shades of Light
3. Color edge curtain panels ($39)-Land of Nod
4. Gallery wall—these are all Etsy prints, but I have other plans in the works including things we already own, the art from his nursery, free printables and frames we have around. Have you seen the new free customizable printable from On to Baby yet? Lovely!
5. Pottery Barn Kids Anywhere Chair ($99)-B got a personalized one from my mom for Christmas so it will be in his new reading corner
6. Threshold blue accent table ($79)-Target
7. Rugby stripe twin duvet cover ($69)-Pottery Barn Kids
8. Hemnes daybed in black-brown ($399)-Ikea-This thing can be a twin or a full and has storage. It perfectly solves the challenges I mentioned in a recent post about this transition. The downside, it needs to be hacked a bit to look how I want it to look. We were able to build the bed this weekend and it took a solid four hours with two of us working on it. Bodhi was with his grandparents during those hours. I can’t imagine how long it would’ve taken with him “helping” us. There are MANY pieces, but it’s a great daybed once assembled and seems to pull into a full size bed easily. We just added the Vikare toddler rail for extra safety. As for the hack, there will be paint and there will be new hardware. I may share the room with you before I get to painting as I’m overwhelmed by the Ikea painting process-prime, prime again, sand, paint, paint, sand, paint… I think I’ll finish the room and plan to paint the bed in the spring/summer over a weekend when B goes to visit his grandma.
The throw pillows are from Etsy and the “B” pillow is from Land of Nod. The pillows are still TBD.
I am on the hunt for the perfect graphic print sheets that incorporate some or all of the room’s colors and haven’t found anything quite right yet. For now, I picked up a simple set of navy blue t-shirt organic cotton sheets ($17) from Target. Any suggestions for the main set?
I’m also looking for or planning to make book shelves that attach to the wall. I can’t find any modern ones. We’re using the one from his nursery in the playroom now. We have so much work to do. And we’re not even painting the room at this point. The Ikea hack/hacks are going to be time-consuming, but worth it, hopefully.
Have a lovely week!