I’ve always loved making nights at home feel special! My husband and I often have a glass of wine by the fire in the winter and enjoy great conversation with each other. Little things really make a night in feel like more than just a night at home.
Now, with a baby in the house, we have very little time alone. Until recently, the baby literally took up all of our time until 10 p.m. when he crashed for the night (for him that was 3 hours). For future or new mamas—don’t worry. Bodhi is a particularly bad sleeper. :) He recently started going to bed earlier—7:30 or 8, which gives us at least two good hours together. So now, we are finding time once again to enjoy a nice glass of wine or a great movie.
Here are my five tips for making every night feel like date night without leaving the house. For those of you who are able to get out for date nights regularly, just enjoy it, but on the rare occasion that you are in, these tips may help make your nights even better.
- Light a candle—I prefer Aveda candles. They smell fresh, clean and wonderful plus they don’t put pollutants in your air. My favorite is the shampure soy candle. It’s a little expensive at $32, but it lasts forever and one goes a long way.
- A glass of wine or champagne—I love a good glass of wine or champagne, but honestly, I don’t even know what a good glass is. I enjoy a lot of the cheap stuff—Trader Joe’s has several sparkling wines for under $9 that I love! If you spend less you don’t have to feel guilty when the bubbles are gone and you have to throw the rest away.
- Music—we love having music playing on Saturday and Sunday mornings in our house—with or without baby, it makes it feel festive, fun and gives us both energy. Music can also make a night at home a little more enjoyable.
- Plan something—whether it’s making dinner together, renting a movie, playing a game or just sitting by the fire, do something specific. Don’t just turn on the TV and channel surf. Even watching your favorite show or shows is so much better. We love TV night—our shows—Modern Family, 30 Rock, How I met your mother… and a few more this year may make the cut.
- Set a time to start together time—It’s way too easy (especially for new parents) to get caught up in the to do’s around the house—preparing stuff for the baby for the next day, getting your clothes ready for work, laundry, dishes and everything else, that it really helps to set a time to just be. You can meet in your favorite room in the house at that time and feel good about simply enjoying each other!